Today for English class we were told to bring a copy of our rough draft for our third essay. First, we exchanged essays with a partner and peer edited them. The point behind this was to make sure the point of our essay we intended to get across was the same as what our partner perceived it to be. After my partner read my rough draft and wrote down what she though my main idea was, I found out it matched up with my intended main idea. Then, we had to tear our rough draft apart by paragraph so all of the paragraphs were separated. We were then instructed to create a discard pile, paragraphs that did not match our main idea, and a keep pile, ones that matched our main idea. All of my paragraphs ended up in a keep pile. Next, we had to read the paragraph and give it a reason for what it does for our main idea. The five things the paragraph could do are: provides important evidence, explains something that is key to understanding what I am trying to say, illustrates a key concept, helps establish the importance of what I am trying to say, and raises a question that I must explore. Lastly, for this blog post we are told to find at least two ways to rearrange our paragraphs and develop two different set-ups. Finally, after this we need to come up with some questions we had for this assignment.
1) What makes the set-ups different?
After doing this I was able to see the set-ups are different, because the paragraphs are rearranged in a different order. The order of how information was revealed to the reader was not the same. Personally, liked the way I had the paragraphs arranged in the original copy. I had already thought about this while writing my rough draft the first time. There were transitions into each paragraph and the first paragraph led into the last paragraph to help my paper flow nicely.
2) What did I learn?
I learned that it is okay for your first paper does not have to be your final. After writing out your rough draft the first time you are still allowed to rearrange it as much as you want. This is very reassuring, because I was able to see there were so many possibilities for me to order my information in my essay.
3) How did the paper help you re-see your essay?
This helped me see there is not one way you have to write your essay. There are so many different ways you can arrange your information to get your main ides across to readers.
No comments:
Post a Comment